Twin Projects: Jenkins Memorial Scholarship for Teacher Education
The Jenkins Memorial Scholarship was inaugurated in October, 1946, as a
special Golden Anniversary Project. In 1947 the fund was established as a
permanent project as a living memorial to the young people who lost their
lives in military service during WWII and was named for one of them,
Clifford N. Jenkins, Jr., son of Margaret Jenkins, New York State PTA
President 1944-1947 and National PTA President 1961-1964. The purpose of the
project is to assist outstanding students in preparing for the teaching
Jenkins application will be available September 2017.
$3,000 paid in installments as follows:
- $700 paid at the end of the first two academic years (usually at the end
of the spring semester) after official transcript is received confirming
- $800 paid at the conclusion of the third academic year upon receipt of
official transcript confirming award compliance.
- $800 paid upon receipt of official transcript stating course completion,
degree completion and recommendation for teacher certification.
Public High School Seniors who:
1. Plan to prepare for a teaching career.
2. Plan to attend a college of the State University of New York for
baccalaureate degree in education -OR- plan to attend a two year community
college before transferring to a baccalaureate degree program in education
in a college of the State University of New York.
3. Have not accepted scholarships exceeding the monetary value of $16,000.
4. Attend a public high school in New York State in a school district where
there is a PTA/PTSA unit in good standing.
Character and personality, academic achievement and potential teaching
Students awarded a scholarship are required to do the following:
1. Official education curriculum transcripts must be mailed to the New York
State PTA office within 60 days of conclusion of the academic year.
2. If the education curriculum is changed to another major, notification
must be made to the NYS PTA office and the scholarship will be immediately
3. The scholar will submit to the New York State PTA documentation of
graduation and recommendation for New York State teaching certification
before the final scholarship payment is distributed.
Applications will be made available on the New York State PTA website (www.nyspta.org
) after September
15. Notification of availability will be sent to guidance counselors in high
schools with a PTA/PTSA in good standing.
EACH HIGH SCHOOL MAY SUBMIT TWO (2) CANDIDATES
Completed applications must be sent to the New York State PTA Office
postmarked, not metered, by December 15. (If the deadline falls on a weekend
or holiday it will be extended to the next business day)
SELECTION OF WINNER
Applications are reviewed by a committee of educators and members of the New York State PTA Governance Team.
Candidates whose applications pass the initial screening are invited to appear for a personal interview in March.
Interview sites are listed on the application.
must attend the entire interview process to continue eligibility.
Winners, known as Jenkins Scholars, are notified on or about May 1 and
receive an award agreement which must be signed and returned to the New York
State PTA office.