[NYPT Fall 2018]
By Stephanie Avidon, Literacy Specialist
Congratulations to Lenox PTA from Nassau Region for receiving the 2018 NYS PARP Award for their program entitled “Discover A New Universe with Books.”
Their four-week program for grades K-5 included a variety of activities, including: creating an original PARP theme song, PARP Reading Games, The Great Star Race, multiple assemblies, activities at their local library, a book drive, daily readings from special guests, plus a lot of community involvement from local businesses.
They translated their materials into Spanish and did a great job communicating everything with parents, teachers and students. They also continuously evaluated their program, so they can make improvements for next year. The most remarkable result was their participation increased tremendously from the past couple of years. Their program truly encouraged the love of reading and established lifelong readers!
To read more, check out their program in the updated PARP Toolkit in Section 4.
Congratulations to the following Region PARP Winners:
- Evans Park Elementary School PTA from Central Hudson Region for their program “Read Through Time”
- Perkins School PTA from Genesee Valley Region for their program “Get Your Paw on a Good Book”
- West Leyden Elementary PTA from Leatherstocking Region for “Paws for Reading”
- Lyndonville Centralized PTSA from Niagara Region for “PARP Premiere”
- Rensselaer Park Elementary School PTA from Northeastern Region for “Rensselaer Park Elementary School Reads for the Gold”
- Bayview Elementary School PTA from Suffolk Region for “Cruising Through a Good Book!”
- Beekman Elementary PTA from Taconic Region for “Beekman is WILD About Reading!”
- Heim Elementary School PTA from Western Region for “Be A Gold Medal Reader”
Congratulations to all our PARP winners this year!
Hopefully you will consider submitting your PARP program next year; maybe you will be a winner!
For more information about PARP, how to start a PARP program at your school, or to find new ideas for your annual PARP program, check out the PARP Toolkit.