Google’s Be Internet Awesome with PTA Connected
A Be Internet Awesome (BIA) Event is an interactive night where families engage with one another in meaningful conversations about raising children in an online world.
Be Internet Awesome Family guide
Help your family be safe and smart online
The Be Internet Awesome Family Guide gives families the tools and resources to learn about online safety and citizenship at home. We’ve created this guide for families to make it easier to incorporate and practice good digital habits in your everyday lives. Packed with good stuff, this guide will help you and your kids discuss, learn, and think about online safety together.
With Be Internet Awesome, expect to:
Participate in a hands-on parent and child presentation with ice breakers and family activities that encourage open family communication about online topics.
Learn about the five areas of Be Internet Awesome: Smart, Alert, Strong, Kind or Brave. Work together to practice a scenario within your chosen topic area. AND, receive a take home family guide to continue the conversation.
Receive information on resources and tools that help families establish their online rules and boundaries.
2019 PTA Connected Be Internet Awesome Family Workshop Grant, Sponsored by Google
Congratulations to the 75 local PTAs who received $1,000 in funding and materials and the 18 state/district/ council/regional PTAs who received $5,000 in funding and materials to host Be Internet Awesome Family Workshops in their school communities during the 2019-2020 school year. Check out these grantees!
Also, congrats to the 100 additional local PTAs who received $1,000 in funding and materials to host Be Internet Awesome Family Workshops during the week of Safer Internet Day, Feb. 10-14. See who these grantees are!
PTA Connected provides you with flyers, volunteer forms, an event planning overview, email templates, sample agendas, evaluation forms and much more.
All of these resources will make planning and executing your event simple, easy and fun. Check them out below!
- Event Planning Guide (en español)
- Be Internet Awesome Event Overview (en español)
- Talking Points for PTA Leader (en español)
- Invitation to Volunteer (en español)
- Volunteer Sign-up Sheet (en español)
- Tips for Recruiting Non-PTA Volunteers
- Morning Announcement (en español)
- Backpack Flyer (en español)
- Event Invitation Email (en español)
- Flyer Template (en español)
- Letter to Elected Officials (en español)
- Press Release- Local PTA (en español)
- Press Release- District/Council/Region PTA (en español)
- Template Media Advisory (en español)
- Sample Social Media Posts (en español)
- How to Place a Facebook Ad
- Logo and Images
- Editable BIA Images
- Full PTA Connected Logo
- Powerpoint Presentation with Script
- Family Guides
- Expansion Breakout Activity Guides
- Certificate of Awesomeness
- Media Release Form
- BIA Posters
- Sample Thank You Letters for Volunteers
- Program Leader Feedback Form
- Complete this form in the online grants portal. Click “In progress” on the left-hand menu to access the form.
- Attendee Post-Event Survey (en español)
- Make sure to tell attendees to go to PTA.org/Survey
About the PTA Connected Be Internet Awesome Program
The PTA Connected Be Internet Awesome program is designed to help families establish digital well-being from a young age. It’s most appropriate for elementary school PTAs, but would also be a great program for upper grade PTSAs to host in partnership with other schools in their area for older students to log volunteer hours.
The goal of a Be Internet Awesome Family Workshop is to create an interactive event where families engage with one another in meaningful conversations about raising children in an online world. Using the Be Internet Awesome Family Guides, provided presentations and facilitator guides; your PTA will help parents create a shared understanding of what it means to Be Internet Smart, Alert, Strong, Kind and Brave.
Attendees will also be introduced to free tools, such as Google’s Family Link, that support healthy online habits by providing parents with ways to view their child’s online activity, manage their apps and set limits on screen time.
NYS PTA Attendee Prize Word – Awesome
As reminder, please input this Prize Word into the “Prize Submission Form” on the “Resources” Tab!