Last year, you and other members sent nearly 7,000 emails to the governor’s office and your state legislators, plus Facebook posts and Tweets, advocating on topics affecting children.
This year, get ready to send even more messages to Albany in support of all New York’s kids! Check your email every Tuesday in February and March, and get ready to Take Action!
You can read about all our positions for this years’ legislative session:
- Supporting English Language Learners and their Families
- Support School-Based Mental Health Services for Students
- Supports for Recovery High Schools, and the Prevention and Treatment of Substance Use Disorders
- Oppose the Legalization of Recreational Marijuana
- NYS PTA Calls for a $2.2 Billion Increase to Support Our Students
- Every Child Travels Safely
- Every Child Their Safety: Keeping Our Children Safe in School
- Strong Support for Tobacco 21
- Supporting Our Youngest Learners
Engaging grassroots members in PTA advocacy campaigns strengthens our chorus!
Although PTA advocacy is a year-round effort, March has been traditionally designated PTA Advocacy Month. In the preceding January, the Executive Office, i.e. the governor, presents the State of the State address and releases the Proposed Executive Budget for the upcoming year. Both houses of the NYS legislature have 8-10 weeks to react to the governor’s proposals. Senate and Assembly members either agree or propose adjusted funding allocations, but are not permitted to change language within the budget. The approved Executive Budget is due to the public on April 1.