Applications must be postmarked (not metered) no later than June 15 to your Region Director. Application must be submitted to the Region Director of the PTA Region in which the program was held. Here is the list of PTA Region Directors and a map of New York State outlining PTA regions. No faxed or emailed applications will be accepted.
Goal of the Award:
The primary objective is to encourage reading and other literacy-based activities in the home through recognition of PARP programs by: highlighting PARP programs; sharing outstanding PARP ideas with other PTAs/schools/libraries/communities and other parent groups; contributing to the understanding of the importance of reading and other literacy activities in the family setting and in the community.
Who May Apply?
New York State PTA units, schools (including pre-schools, non-PTA schools, non-public schools, middle schools and high schools), public libraries, community and parent groups may apply for this award.
PARP Award Criteria:
The PARP award application will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- The program that best illustrates the PARP theme; and best encourages and educates families through collaborative reading and literacy activities will be selected
- The program must encourage cooperative reading or literacy activities for at least 20 minutes a day
- Preference is given for the widest variety of community involvement and the level of participation
- The quality of communication and supportive materials are reviewed
- Overall program must include the words “Pick A Reading Partner”
- PARP is an acronym therefore has no periods
- Ideally, program ideas will be accessible and affordable to all communities and make creative use of literacy activities
- The PARP program must be held during the current school year
Congratulations to the 2018 PARP Award Winners:
New York State PARP Winner:
- Lenox PTA (Nassau Region) – Discover a New Universe with Books
Region PARP Winners:
- Evans Park Elementary School PTA (Central Hudson Region) – Read Through Time
- Perkins School PTA (Genesee Valley Region) – Get Your Paw on a Good Book
- West Leyden Elementary PTA (Leatherstocking Region) – Paws for Reading
- Rensselaer Park Elementary School PTA (Northeastern Region) – RPES Reads for the Gold
- Lyndonville Centralized PTSA (Niagara Region) – PARP Premiere
- Bayview Elementary School PTA (Suffolk Region) – Cruising Through a Good Book!
- Beekman Elementary PTA (Taconic Region) – Beekman Is WILD About Reading!
- Heim Elementary School PTA (Western Region) – Be A Gold Medal Reader