The Jenkins Memorial Scholarship was inaugurated in October 1946, as a special Golden Anniversary Project. In 1947 the fund was established as a permanent project as a living memorial to the young people who lost their lives in military service during WWII and was named for one of them, Clifford N. Jenkins, Jr., son of Margaret Jenkins, New York State PTA President 1944-1947 and National PTA President 1961-1964. The purpose of the project is to assist outstanding students in preparing for the teaching profession.
2022-2023 Application Closed
$3,000 paid in installments as follows:
- $700 paid at the end of the first two academic years (usually at the end of the spring semester) after official transcript is received confirming award compliance.
- $800 paid at the conclusion of the third academic year upon receipt of official transcript confirming award compliance.
- $800 paid upon receipt of official transcript stating course completion, degree completion and recommendation for teacher certification.
Public High School Seniors who:
- Plan to prepare for a teaching career.
- Plan to attend a college of the State University of New York for baccalaureate degree in education -OR- plan to attend a two year community college before transferring to a baccalaureate degree program in education in a college of the State University of New York.
- Have not accepted scholarships equal to or greater than the monetary value of $16,000.
- Attend a public high school in New York State in a school district where there is a PTA/PTSA unit in good standing.
Character and personality, academic achievement and potential teaching ability.
Students awarded a scholarship are required to do the following:
- Official education curriculum transcripts must be mailed to the New York State PTA office within 60 days of conclusion of the academic year.
- If the education curriculum is changed to another major, notification must be made to the NYS PTA office and the scholarship will be immediately terminated.
- The scholar will submit to the New York State PTA documentation of graduation and recommendation for New York State teaching certification before the final scholarship payment is distributed.
Applications will be made available on the New York State PTA website (nyspta.org) after September 15 . Notification of availability will be sent to guidance counselors in high schools with a PTA/PTSA in good standing.
EACH HIGH SCHOOL MAY SUBMIT TWO (2) CANDIDATES
Completed applications must be sent to the New York State PTA Office postmarked, not metered, by December 15. (If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday it will be extended to the next business day).
Selection of Winner
Applications are reviewed by a committee of educators and members of the New York State PTA Governance Team. Candidates whose applications pass the initial screening are invited to appear for a personal interview in March. Interview sites are listed on the application.
Candidates must attend the entire interview process to continue eligibility.
Winners, known as Jenkins Scholars, are notified on or about May 1 and receive an award agreement which must be signed and returned to the New York State PTA office.
Congratulations to 2021-2022 winners!
Central Hudson Region
Madison Green – Monroe-Woodbury High School PTSA
Emma Lanks – Nanuet High School PTSA
Keri McAndrew – Clarkstown High School South PTSA
Jayden Carrasquillo – North Rockland High School
Timothy Beresford – Farmingdale High School PTA
Sanaia Estime – West Hempstead Middle/Senior High School PTSA
Sofia A. Garcia – Glen Cove High School PTA
Alexandra LoVerde – Plainedge High School PTSA
Alexa Puglisi – Division Avenue High School PTSA
Anthony Beares – Lindenhurst High School PTSA
Ayden Grace Fleming – Smithtown High School East
Aidan Bieger – Williamsville North PTSA