Family engagement in education is a critical strategy for ensuring students’ academic achievement, graduation from high school and overall success in life.
Jami-Beth Knapp believed this to be true. She worked within her school and community to teach and mentor others – the true meaning of family engagement. This award will recognize an individual or group of individuals, who demonstrate innovative and unique strategies to encourage and involve parents as equal partners in their child’s education. NYS PTA will bestow this honor on an individual or group of individuals who meets the criteria.
Only a PTA, PTSA, SEPTA or Council in good standing or Region and the NYS Board of Directors are eligible to apply.
The purpose of this award is to honor those that continue the work and dedication of Jami-Beth Knapp in family engagement.
To be eligible for nomination the nominee:
- Does not need to be a PTA member(s), although, the work achieved by this individual or group of individuals should be aligned with the PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnership.
- Must demonstrate an impact in multiple areas or a minimum of one area of the six PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnership.
The individual or group of individuals must demonstrate an impact in multiple areas or a minimum of one area:
- Works within the school community to actively support the PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnership.
- The ability to communicate effectively.
- Support student success.
- Empower families to advocate for their own and other children.
- Work with families and the school community to inform, influence and create policies, practices and programs.
- Collaborate with communities to connect students, families and staff to expanded learning opportunities, community services and civic participation.
Online Application Requirements:
The following must be considered when applying:
- The Online Application must be completed and submitted by the deadline.
- A minimum of two recommendation letters from two different individuals who are aware of the accomplishment(s) of the individual or group of individuals must be submitted online, along with the completed application. The letters should describe why this individual or group of individuals is deserving of this award. These letters should give examples, explain the individual or group of individual’s family engagement involvement, and how their involvement has affected their community.
- Each submitting unit, council, region or NYS PTA Governance Team member may nominate only one individual or group of individuals per year.
Recipient of this award will receive an engraved clock and an invitation with a guest to the NYS PTA Banquet held Saturday night at the NYS PTA Annual Convention.
Selection Criteria and Deadline:
The winner will be selected by the New York State PTA Advocacy Team Committee by July 31, and honored at the NYS PTA Banquet held Saturday night at the NYS PTA Annual Convention.