Family engagement in education is a critical strategy for ensuring students’ academic achievement, graduation from high school and overall success in life.
Jami-Beth Knapp believed this to be true. She worked within her school and community to teach and mentor others – the true meaning of family engagement. NYS PTA will bestow the honor of this award to recognize an individual or group of individuals who demonstrate innovative and unique strategies to encourage and involve families as equal partners in their child’s education.
Only a PTA, PTSA, SEPTA Unit or Council in good standing, Region PTA, and the NYS Board of Directors are eligible to submit an application.
2022 APPLICATION NOW CLOSED
Date Due: May 15, 2022
Postmarked, not metered, by May 15th to:
1 Wembley Court
Albany, NY 12205
Submitted via Google Forms or emailed by May 15th to the NYS PTA State Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be eligible for nomination the nominee:
- Does not need to be a PTA member(s), although, the work achieved by this individual or group of individuals should be aligned with the PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnership.
- Must demonstrate an impact in multiple areas or a minimum of one area of the six PTA’s National Standards for Family-School Partnership.
The nominee(s) must demonstrate an impact in one or more of the following areas:
- Families are active participants in the life of the school, and feel welcomed, valued, and connected to each other, to school staff, and to what students are learning and doing in class.
- Families and school staff engage in regular, two-way, meaningful communication about student learning.
- Families and school staff continuously collaborate to support students’ learning and healthy development both at home and at school, and have regular opportunities to strengthen their knowledge and skills to do so effectively.
- Families are empowered to be advocates for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and have access to learning opportunities that will support their success.
- Families and school staff are equal partners in decisions that affect children and families and together inform, influence, and create policies, practices, and programs.
- Families and school staff collaborate with community members to connect students, families, and staff to expanded learning opportunities, community services, and civic participation.
The following must be considered when applying:
- The form must be filled out completely by a PTA, PTSA, or SEPTA Unit or Council, Region PTA, or the NYS Board of Directors.
- Units/Councils must be in good standing at the time of submission. Good standing includes:
- Membership dues have been paid.
- Insurance has been paid.
- Current bylaws- 3 years or less since last approved.
- Unit IRS not ‘Revoked’.
- Each submitting group may only nominate one person per year.
- Examples of the individual’s or group’s commitment to Family Engagement should be included on the application form.
- The application must be completed and submitted no later than May 15th, 2022.
- A minimum of two recommendation letters from two different individuals who are aware of the accomplishment(s) of the individual or group of individuals must be submitted online, along with the completed application. The letters should describe why this individual or group of individuals is deserving of this award. These letters should give examples, explain the individual or group of individual’s family engagement involvement, and how their involvement has affected their community.
Recipient of this award will receive an engraved clock and an invitation with a guest to the NYS PTA Banquet held Saturday night at the NYS PTA Annual Convention in November.