This NYS PTA award was established in 1991 to honor the memory of Jane Skrzypek. The purpose of this award is to recognize an outstanding leader in your PTA who, by his or her actions, inspires others to volunteer and assume leadership positions. The award is given in recognition of outstanding PTA volunteerism and leadership. Applications should be submitted to your region director. Each region may submit one nominee to the State. From the nominees submitted, one recipient will be chosen by the Awards Specialist and the Leadership Development Committee. The State winner will be honored at the New York State PTA Convention in November and will receive an engraved mantle clock. The chosen recipients from each Region will also be recognized by a smaller clock from NYS PTA at an event within their regions. The application process and criteria to nominate a volunteer is described below.
Only a PTA, PTSA, SEPTA Unit or Council in good standing, Region PTA, and the NYS Board of Directors are eligible to submit an application.
2022 Application Now CLOSED
Date Due: June 15, 2022
Postmarked, not metered, by June 15th to:
1 Wembley Court
Albany, NY 12205
Emailed by June 15th to your PTA Region Director (Region Director list here).
To be eligible for nomination the nominee must:
- Be a member of a PTA/PTSA in good standing.
- Volunteer through the PTA.
Members of the New York State PTA Board of Directors are not eligible for this award.
The nominee must:
- Volunteer above and beyond the scope of his/her PTA position; and
- Exhibit leadership qualities that encourage others to participate and volunteer.
The following must be considered when applying:
- The form must be filled out completely by a PTA, PTSA, SEPTA Unit or Council, Region PTA, or the NYS Board of Directors.
- Units/Councils must be in good standing at the time of submission. Good standing includes:
- Membership dues have been paid
- Insurance has been paid
- Current bylaws – 3 years or less since last approved
- Each submitting group may nominate one person per year.
- The nominee’s leadership qualities should be included on the application form.
- The application must be completed and submitted no later than June 15, 2022.
- The application must include two statements, written as letters. One statement should be from an officer of your PTA and the other may be from the principal/superintendent or from another PTA officer who has worked with the nominee. The letters should describe why this individual or group of individuals is deserving of this award. These letters should give examples, explains the nominee’s leadership qualities and how these qualities have affected your PTA. No more than two letters will be accepted.
Unit/Council Leadership Recognition In Honor of Jane Skrzypek
Although only one NYS PTA winner is chosen, your PTA/PTSA may wish to honor a volunteer who goes above and beyond the scope of his or her position – a person you can always rely on to be there when an extra hand is needed. You may honor a volunteer within your unit by presenting a Jane Skrzypek Volunteer Pin (purchased at a cost of $5.00 by contacting the State office). However, receiving the pin does not make the recipient a Jane Skrzypek Volunteer of the Year Award winner, only NYS PTA can select the winner.