The Youth Humanitarian Award In Memory of Stanley Marcus is presented to high school junior or senior students who best exemplify the humanitarian principles of Stanley Marcus who died in 1977 while serving as third vice president of the New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers. He will always be remembered for his humanitarianism and dedication to youth through zealous volunteer community service. Since PTA is a volunteer organization, we believe that it is only fitting that we should honor such service by our young people through the sponsorship of this award.
The application deadline has passed.
Deadline to apply: January 31, 2021
Congratulations to this year’s NYS Youth Humanitarian Award Winner:
Margaret Partlow from Shenendehowa High School PTSA, Northeastern Region
The region winners from the other regions that submitted applications are as follows:
- Aidan Beecher, Williamsville East HS, Western Region
- Ethan Chin, Rye Neck High School, Westchester-East Putnam
- Kate Drickel, FD Roosevelt High School, Taconic Region
- Sydney Prescott, Victor Senior High School, Genesee Valley Region
From the nominees submitted, one recipient will be chosen by the NYS PTA Committee by April 1. Presentation of the award shall be made by the Region PTA at the Spring Conference (or other appropriate occasion).
The purpose of this award is to recognize a junior or senior who best exemplifies the humanitarian principles of Stanley Marcus who is remembered for his humanitarianism and dedication to youth through zealous volunteer community service.
The nominee must:
- be a junior or senior at a high school with a PTA/PTSA in good standing
- demonstrate outstanding volunteer community service
- display humanitarian principles by word and deed
- be selected for the quality of the humanitarian activities rather than for the quantity of extracurricular activities
NOTE: Academic achievement SHOULD NOT be a factor in the selection process.
Unit Selection Process:
In order to participate, the PTA/PTSA High School unit must be in good standing on the date of submission:
- Membership dues have been paid
- Insurance has been paid
- Current bylaws – 3 years or less since last approved
Each unit may submit one 11th or 12th grade student for this recognition.
Region PTA Selection:
Each Region PTA/PTSA may submit one nominee for this state award from those submitted by the high school PTA units. The chosen recipient from each Region will receive a recognition plaque from NYS PTA.
2019-2020 NYS Youth Humanitarian Award Winner
Timmy O’Hanlon – Garden City High School – Nassau Region
2018-19 NYS Youth Humanitarian Award Winner
Matthew Spirakis – Garden City High School – Nassau Region