The Youth Humanitarian Award In Memory of Stanley Marcus is presented to high school junior or senior students who best exemplify the humanitarian principles of Stanley Marcus who died in 1977 while serving as third vice president of the New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers. He will always be remembered for his humanitarianism and dedication to youth through zealous volunteer community service. Since PTA is a volunteer organization, we believe that it is only fitting that we should honor such service by our young people through the sponsorship of this award.
From the nominees submitted, one recipient will be chosen by the NYS PTA Committee by April 1, 2023. Presentation of the award shall be made by the Region PTA at the Spring Conference (or other appropriate occasion).
Youth Humanitarian Award In Memory of Stanley Marcus 2022 (Fillable PDF)
Youth Humanitarian Award In Memory of Stanley Marcus 2022 (Printable PDF)
Only a High School PTA, PTSA, SEPTA Unit in good standing is eligible to apply.
Deadline to apply:
Mailed applications must be postmarked by January 31, 2023
Applications may be emailed to your Region Director.
To be eligible, the nominee must:
- be a junior or senior at a high school with a PTA/PTSA in good standing
- display humanitarian principles by word and deed
The nominee must:
- The nominee must:
- demonstrate outstanding volunteer community service
- be selected for the quality of the humanitarian activities rather than for the quantity of extracurricular activities
NOTE: Academic achievement SHOULD NOT be a factor in the selection process.
- The form must be filled out completely by a High School PTA, PTSA, or SEPTA Unit.
- The High School Unit must be in good standing at the time of submission. Good standing includes:
- Membership dues have been paid
- Insurance has been paid
- Current bylaws – 3 years or less since last approved
- Each high school may nominate one person per year.
- A list of student volunteer activities must be included.
- The student essay must be completed in the application in the space provided. No additional pages will be accepted.
- Letters of recommendation and high school transcripts are not accepted. Letters from directors of community programs and copies of certificates of appreciation are accepted- but not required.
- The application must be completed and submitted no later than January 31, 2023.
Region PTA Selection:
Each Region PTA/PTSA may submit one nominee for this state award from those submitted by the high school PTA units. The chosen recipient from each Region will receive a recognition plaque from NYS PTA.
State Winner: $250 check to be spent at your discretion and an 8″ x 10″ plaque
Region Winners: 5″ x 7″ plaque
2021-2022 NYS PTA Youth Humanitarian Award Winner:
Sabrina Guo – Syosset High School PTSA -Nassau Region
The region winners from the other regions that submitted applications are as follows:
- Eleanora Alloway – Southold Junior-Senior High School – Southold PTA
- Emma Nesbit – Starpoint High School – Starpoint Central School PTA
- Charles Sweeney – John Jay Senior High School – John Jay Senior High School PTSA
- Luke Chalone – Irondequoit High School – West Irondequoit Central PTSA
- Harshita Shet – Woodlands Middle High School – Woodlands Middle High School PTSA
2020-2021 NYS PTA Youth Humanitarian Award Winner
Margaret Partlow – Shenendehowa High School PTSA -Northeastern Region