Governor Cuomo has issued the following emergency orders on school closure:
- 5/1/20 UPDATE – All NYS K-12 schools are now physically closed until the end of the school year.
- During this time, schools must have a plan in place to provide for continued instruction and meal services for students.
- School board elections and budget votes have been postponed until June 9, and will be conducted by absentee ballot.
- The NYS Board of Regents have cancelled the June 2020 and the August 2020 Regents Exams, please see here and below for more guidance on this and an FAQ document.
- The College Board has moved to an online test. See HERE for more information.
- Governor Cuomo has just announced an update to NY Pause, which is detailed below.
NY Pause Update (as of 5/11/20)
Regional Opening – As of May 11, three regions of NYS qualify to start to begin the re-opening process this coming Friday (as they have made 7/7 qualifiers): Mohawk Valley, Southern Tier and Finger Lakes. This means in these area, when working with local officials, those regions may look to open Phase One: Construction, Manufacturing, Wholesale, Trade, Select Retail for Curbside Pickup Only, Agriculture, Forestry, and Fishing.
Other regions and their qualifying numbers are listed below (listed in closest to opening to further away to opening):
Missing 1 qualifier: North Country (6/7), Central NY (6/7)
Missing 2 qualifiers: Capital Region (5/7), Western NY (5/7), Long Island (5/7), Mid Hudson (5/7)
Missing 3 qualifiers: New York City (4/7)
Statewide Openings – As of May 15, the Governor has opened the following things statewide: Landscaping and gardening, Drive-in movies, low-risk outdoor recreational activities (he listed tennis as example).
He has also issued a NY Forward report which details opening information. As things change, we will keep you informed.
State Education Department FAQ Document on graduation changes