November 30, 2020 (Albany) – The New York State PTA is excited to announce the winners of the NYS PTA 2019-2020 Innovative Teacher Grant Award.
NYS PTA’s grant gives innovative teachers the opportunity to put their ideas into action. It is awarded to worthy projects that significantly influence student learning. Grants may aim to introduce something new or provide enhancements to a current program, and projects should be inclusive; not limited to a subset of students within a class or grade level.
The New York State PTA understands the importance of the “T” in PTA and is proud to present this award to the following recipients, whose proposal projects were both innovative and inspiring. Each of the following classroom teachers will receive a $200 grant to help make their creative project goals for their students a reality:
- Malynda Nichol and Shawn Keane – Dawnwood Middle School PTA (Suffolk Region)
- Danielle Hommel – Circleville Elementary School PTA (Central Hudson Region)
- Virely M. Woodward – Highview Elementary School PTA (Westchester-East Putnam Region)
- Maureen Gilroy – Fall Creek Elementary School PTA (South Central Region)
- Ingrid Lagoe – Canandaigua PTA (Genesee Valley Region)
- Sarah English – Sweet Home High School PTSA (Western Region)
- Mary Jo Salomon – Francis L. Stevens PTA (Northeastern Region)
- Cecelia Davidson – Pennington PTA (Westchester-East Putnam Region)
Applicants must have been be a PK-12 classroom teacher or special area teacher in a NYS public school or BOCES. Funds can be used for things such as: enrichment of curriculum, experiential or hands-on learning, or innovative programs which will directly or indirectly benefit students.
“As a former kindergarten teacher, and current kindergarten classroom assistant, it is my honor as President to announce these wonderful grants to our great teachers! The “T” in PTA really matters to us, as the teacher-family relationship is most important for student support and success,” offered Dana Platin, NYS PTA President. “We truly congratulate all our winners!”
In exciting news, NYS PTA renewed this grant, and will be issuing the next application in January 2021. Funds from donations made as a part of our Giving Tuesday initiative will fully support this initiative–as we continue to find ways to support our great educators!