Pick a Reading Partner
Learning to read is the single most important activity in a child’s education. Studies show that children who read at home are better prepared to succeed in formal education.
PARP is a program that asks a partner (parent, grandparent, babysitter, older sibling, cousin, friend, etc.) to read with a child for at least 20 minutes daily. The choice of reading materials can vary from books to anything with printed words. The daily activity of reading together strengthens reading and communication skills in the child and strengthens their relationship.
PARP is a program that cements the necessary bond between the home and the school to encourage love of reading in our children. It was developed in 1978 by the late State Senator James Donovan, Chairman of the State Senate Education Committee. In 1987 the New York State PTA was asked to assume the program’s helm, and since then has administered the program. The program was originally named Parents As Reading Partners but was changed in 2015.
PARP programs vary in length—as little as two weeks or as long as six weeks or more. The time frame is entirely up to you. There is no annual or required theme – you create your own. Each program is meant to be unique and creative. PARP programs can run at little to no cost and may be simple or elaborate. It is a voluntary effort coordinated by the school, PTA, local library or community organization and includes parents, students, administrators, teachers, staff and community members in a collaborative partnership focusing on reading.
NYS PTA has created the Pick A Reading Partner (PARP) Toolkit which provides all the necessary materials you will need to run a successful program. This is helpful for those who are creating a first-time program and for those who run a PARP program annually. Below are the sections of this Toolkit. There are suggestions on themes, programs, activities as well as sample letters, calendars, fliers and past NYS winners.
Check out these great ideas on how to PARP in a Virtual Environment!
Pick a Reading Partner 2020 Program Award Winners
STATE AWARD WINNER 2020
Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA – ” A Litera-Sea Of Reading”
Check out their PARP Video (make sure your audio is on)!
Region Award Winners
- Manetuck Elementary School PTA – “Camp Manetuck”
- East Lake Elementary School PTA – “Red Carpet Readers – The Book is Better Than the Movie”
Pick a Reading Partner Toolkit
- Section 1 – PARP Program (Google Doc) – PARP Program (PDF) – PARP Program (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 2 – Programs and Activities (Google Doc) – Programs and Activities (PDF) – Programs and Activities (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 3A – Sample Forms (Google Doc) – Sample Forms (PDF) – Sample Forms (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 3B – Sample Activities (Google Doc) – Sample Activities (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 4 – Award Winning PARP Program Applications:
- 2020 – “A Litera – Sea of Reading” Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA (PDF) – Spanish Version
- 2019 – “The Great Subway Reading Race” Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA (PDF)
- 2018 – “Discover a New Universe with Books” Lenox PTA (PDF)
- 2017 – “Super Dodgers!” Dodge Elementary PTA (PDF)
- 2016 – “Rocking, Reading, Rapping” Oceanside School #5 PTA (PDF)
- 2015 – “Kingdom of Character, Where Royal Readers are
- Section 5 – Resources (Google Doc) – Resources (PDF) – Resources (PDF) – Spanish Version
Pick a Reading Partner Award
Each PTA Region will choose one outstanding program from applications to be judged by NYS PTA. The state PARP winner will receive two free registrations for the NYS PTA Convention and a plaque presented at the convention. The award-winning application will also become part of the Pick A Reading Partner Toolkit available on the web site.
PARP Award Application is available in January and must be mailed to your region director by May 15, 2022. For more information about the PARP Award please click here.
Reading Checkup: Powered by Learning Ovations
Help Your K-3rd Grade Child Stay On Track
Check out the FULL WEBPAGE HERE!
Learning Ovations’ Reading Checkup is a web-based tool that empowers the adults at home to deliver rigorous, individualized literacy instruction to all children in their care. Check out our success in Charlotte.
Our research shows that every child needs different amounts and types of literacy instruction when learning to read.
Reading Checkup provides a customized plan for your child, organized into four areas of literacy instruction.
Reading Checkup includes assessments, instructional recommendations, and free learning activities.
Reading Checkup provides data directly to families that would otherwise only be available to schools.
Reading Checkup is also available in Spanish.
You can SIGN UP HERE anytime to support your child!
Check out these Parent Resources for ideas on literacy! You can find information for:
- Early Childhood/Preschool
- Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School
- Special Education
- ELL/Immigrant Families
National PTA also has a new reading program, the Family Reading Experience.