NYS PTA is proud to support a number of Literacy Programs for NYS Students!
- Pick a Reading Partner (NYS PTA literacy program)
- LightSail: for Reading at Home
- Reading Check up: Powered by Learning Ovations (K-3 Reading Program for Students)
- Right Path by Right Reason Technologies (ELA and Math Support for grades 3-8)
Pick a Reading Partner
Learning to read is the single most important activity in a child’s education. Studies show that children who read at home are better prepared to succeed in formal education.
PARP is a program that asks a partner (parent, grandparent, babysitter, older sibling, cousin, friend, etc.) to read with a child for at least 20 minutes daily.
PARP, developed in 1978 by NYS Senator James Donovan, is a program that cements the necessary bond between the home and the school to encourage love of reading in our children. The program was originally named Parents As Reading Partners but was changed in 2015 to support more inclusive language.
PARP programs vary in length, there is no annual or required theme, and can run at little to no cost!
NYS PTA has created the Pick A Reading Partner (PARP) Toolkit below for your review! And Check out these great ideas on how to PARP in a Virtual Environment!
Pick a Reading Partner Toolkit
- Section 1 – PARP Program (Google Doc) – PARP Program (PDF) – PARP Program (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 2 – Programs and Activities (Google Doc) – Programs and Activities (PDF) – Programs and Activities (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 3A – Sample Forms (Google Doc) – Sample Forms (PDF) – Sample Forms (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 3B – Sample Activities (Google Doc) – Sample Activities (PDF) – Sample Activities (PDF) – Spanish Version
- Section 4 – Award Winning PARP Program Applications:
- 2020 – “A Litera – Sea of Reading” Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA (PDF) – Spanish Version
- 2019 – “The Great Subway Reading Race” Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA (PDF)
- 2018 – “Discover a New Universe with Books” Lenox PTA (PDF)
- 2017 – “Super Dodgers!” Dodge Elementary PTA (PDF)
- 2016 – “Rocking, Reading, Rapping” Oceanside School #5 PTA (PDF)
- 2015 – “Kingdom of Character, Where Royal Readers are
- Section 5 – Resources (Google Doc) – Resources (PDF) – Resources (PDF) – Spanish Version
Pick a Reading Partner Award
New York State PTA sponsors region PARP awards annually, and one statewide award winner. The PARP Award Application is available in January and must be mailed to your region director by May 15, 2022. For more information about the PARP Award please click here.
STATE AWARD WINNER 2020
Rensselaer Park Elementary PTA – ” A Litera-Sea Of Reading.” Check out their PARP Video here!
Region Award Winners 2020
- Manetuck Elementary School PTA – “Camp Manetuck”
- East Lake Elementary School PTA – “Red Carpet Readers – The Book is Better Than the Movie”
Improve Your Student’s Reading Level
in 3 Months or Less…Guaranteed!
SPECIAL NYS PTA OFFER!
Register NOW and receive our One-Year Premium Subscription for 58% off!
$180 ONLY $75 per child for NYS PTA Members
Help Your K-3rd Grade Child Stay On Track
Learning Ovations’ Reading Checkup is a web-based tool that empowers the adults at home to deliver rigorous, individualized literacy instruction to all children in their care. Check out our success in Charlotte.
Our research shows that every child needs different amounts and types of literacy instruction when learning to read.
Reading Checkup provides a customized plan for your child, organized into four areas of literacy instruction.
Reading Checkup includes assessments, instructional recommendations, and free learning activities.
Reading Checkup provides data directly to families that would otherwise only be available to schools.
Reading Checkup is also available in Spanish.
You can SIGN UP HERE anytime to support your child!
Check out these Parent Resources for ideas on literacy! You can find information for:
- Early Childhood/Preschool
- Elementary School
- Middle School
- High School
- Special Education
- ELL/Immigrant Families
National PTA also has a new reading program, the Family Reading Experience.