NYS PTA Awards and Recognitions
New York State PTA offers many ways to recognize outstanding people and programs.
Advocacy, Family Engagement, Leadership and Service Awards
- Advocate in Action Award – This award acknowledges the involvement of PTA members in their child’s education as well as in their PTA.
- Community Service Award – This award recognizes groups of individuals for their dedication and achievement to the children and youth of New York State.
- Distinguished Service Award (DSA) – This award recognizes outstanding contributions to the welfare of children and youth, or to a PTA association.
- Family Engagement Award in Honor of Jami-Beth Knapp – This award honors those that continue the work and dedication of Jami-Beth Knapp in family engagement.
- Golden Oak and Diamond Awards for Special Recognition – These awards are a special way to honor your most dedicated volunteers.
- Honorary Life Membership (HLM) – This award recognizes individuals for their contributions to the welfare of children and youth.
- Leadership Award in Honor of Jane Skrzypek – This award recognizes an outstanding leader in your PTA who inspires others to volunteer and assume leadership positions.
- Pick a Reading Partner (PARP) Award – This award highlights the PARP program, shares outstanding PARP ideas with other PTAs, schools, libraries, communities and other parent groups, and shows the importance of reading and other literacy activities within the family and the community.
- Reflections Theme Search Award – Children and youth can submit a national theme to serve as the inspiration for Reflections artists and their original works. Students submitting the winning theme receive $100 and recognition at the National PTA Convention.
- Jenkins Memorial Scholarship for Teacher Education – This award helps outstanding students prepare for the teaching profession.
- Susanne Smoller Commitment to Advocacy Youth Award – This award will be given to one high school senior to encourage them to pursue post-secondary education or training and to continue their active engagement in advocacy in the areas of HIV/AIDS, the LGBTQ+ community, mental health, social justice or substance use.
- Youth Humanitarian Award in Memory of Stanley Marcus – This award recognizes a junior or senior who best exemplifies the humanitarian principles of Stanley Marcus, who is remembered for his humanitarianism and dedication to youth through zealous volunteer community service.
- NYS Teacher of the Year Award – The Teacher of the Year program recognizes and celebrates outstanding teachers throughout New York State.
- Teacher Fellowship for Graduate Study in Memory of Richard Gazzola – This encourages excellent teachers to stay in the classroom by providing an opportunity improve teaching skills, update professional knowledge and expand professional perspectives.
- Founders Day Award – This award helps support leadership development and training.
- Membership Awards – These awards are a great way to show parents in your school how active and successful your PTA is!
National PTA Awards and Grants
- The Phoebe Apperson Hearst Awards – These awards recognize and celebrate achievement in building effective family-school partnerships.
- Jan Harp Domene Diversity and Inclusion Award – This award recognizes PTAs that are dedicated to the needs of all families represented in their schools. It also acknowledges PTAs that develop practices that are inclusive and equal for all families and that result in positive change.
- Mary Lou Anderson Reflections Arts Enhancement Grant – This grant provides up to $1,000 in matching funds to support local PTA arts projects within the school community.